2019 Annual Joint Scientific Meeting
The 2019 Joint Research Center Annual Meeting took place in Shanghai on October 17-20, 2019 at Yisheng Hall, SIMM.
2018 Annual Joint Scientific Meeting
The 2018 Joint Research Center Annual Meeting took place in Shanghai on May 7-9, 2018 at Yisheng Hall, SIMM. The University of Ottawa’s delegation was comprised of Drs. Mary-Ellen Harper, Daniel Figeys, Alain Stintzi, Ruth Slack, Jean-François Couture, Stephen Ferguson, Jim Sun. SIMM professors also attended the meeting: Drs. Jian Ding, Meiyu Geng, Yang Ye, Hu Zhou, Mingwei Wang, Linyin Feng, Haiyan Zhang, Beili Wu, Wei Tang, Weibo Yang, Jia Liu.
Members of the Joint Research Center discussed potential collaborative projects in one-on-one meetings. The scientific delegation from uOttawa also visited the Chinese National Compounds Library (CNCL), the CryoEM facility and Haike Campus of SIMM. The joint management meeting was organized after the scientific meeting. At the management committee meeting, subjects of discussion were the Center operation as well as the joint project selection and evaluation.
The 5th China-Canada Systems Biology Symposium
Members of the Joint Research Center attended the 5th China-Canada Systems Biology Symposium (CCSB) at Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China on May 4-6, 2018. The University of Ottawa professors gave scientific talks to over 400 audiences from universities and research institutes including the University of Ottawa, Salk Institute for Biological Studies in California, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology and Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, etc.
- Dr. Alain Stintzi – Contribution of the microbiota to chronic diseases
- Dr. Jim Sun – Applying kinome profiling to elucidate macrophage signaling pathways involved in pathogen defense
- Dr. Stephen Ferguson – Pharmacological blockade of mGluR5 enhances autophagy via ZBTB16- and mTOR-dependent mechanisms to ameliorate motor and cognitive impairments in zQ175 Huntington mice
- Dr. Ruth Slack – The role of mitochondrial dynamics in the regulation of neural stem cells in health and disease
- Dr. Jean-François Couture – Alternative populations of SET1 complexes impact epigenetic signaling
- Dr. Daniel Figeys – Metaproteomic tools to study individual human gut microbiota
The Management Committee Meeting
The management committee meeting took place in Shanghai on January 21-24, 2018 at SIMM. The uOttawa management committee members Drs. Daniel Figeys, Alain Stintzi and Ruth Slack visited SIMM Drug Discovery and Design Center and other facilities at SIMM. The subjects of discussion with SIMM committee members include 1) the Center operation; 2) joint project proposals; 3) the decision of joint research funding competition; 4) future research projects; 5) action plan for the year.
Launching Ceremony of the Joint Research Center on Systems and Personalized Pharmacology
The Joint Research Center launching ceremony took place in Ottawa on November 27, 2017 at the Univerisity of Ottawa. The center will receive a substantial investment from the two institutions and create a wealth of educational and research opportunities for scientists and students. The center’s activities are to include joint research on the medicinal properties of plants used in traditional Chinese medicine; cardiovascular, neurodegenerative and neuromuscular diseases; and the potential development of new medications for diseases such as Ebola, HIV, and tuberculosis. The center will also create educational opportunities for scientists and students through visiting programs, joint research training, and joint seminars and symposia. Members of the Center as well as colleagues from the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Embassy of China and Green Valley Inc. attended the ceremony.
- Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica
- Dr. Ding Jian, Academician, Chinese Academy of Engineering; Dean of School of Pharmacy, Unversity of Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Dr. Geng Meiyu, Professor, Deputy Director of SIMM
- Dr. Ye Yang, Professor, Deputy Director of SIMM
- Dr. Zhou Hu, Professor, Department of Analytical Chemistry
- Dr. Liu Jia, Professor, Manager of Servier-SIMM joint laboratory
- Dr. Zhang Juan, Deputy Director, Department of Scientific Facilities and Asset, SIMM
- Green Valley Inc.
- Ms. Ding Yu, Vice President, Green Valley Inc.
- Ms. Zhang Jiang, Director of Biology Department, Green Valley Inc.
- Mr. Wang Xinyi, Research Associate, Green Valley Inc.
University of Ottawa
Dr. Sylvain Charbonneau, Vice-President, Research, University of Ottawa
- Dr. Bernard Jasmin, Dean and Professor, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa
- Dr. Ruth Slack, Vice-Dean, Research and Professor, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa
- Dr. Daniel Figeys, Professor and Chair Department of BMI, Director of the Joint Research Center on Systems and Personalized Pharmacology
- Mr. François Carrier, Director, International Research, University of Ottawa
- Mr. Vincent Lacroix-Cuerrier, Project Officer, International Research, University of Ottawa
- Embassy of China
Mr. Wang Junming, Scientific Counsellor, Embassy of China
- Mr. Che Chang, Adjointe, Embassy of China
- Members of the Joint Research Center (University of Ottawa)
Dr. Alain Stintzi, Vice-Dean, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- Dr. Mireille Ouimet, Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology
- Dr. Morgan Fullerton, Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology
- Dr. Marceline Côté, Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology
- Dr. Jim Sun, Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology
- Dr. Stephen Ferguson, Professor, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine
- Dr. Jocelyn Côté, Professor and Assistant Dean, Research & Special Projects
- Dr. Rashmi Kothary, Deputy Scientific Director at Ottawa Hospital Research Institute